Friday, March 9, 2012

Mirror Mirror On the Wall


Unto his followers Jesus once said, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Of his two great commandments this was the second.

But what if I have no concept of self? By the way, how can I? I am not my own creator. I am not the maker of my own self. Neither am I a self-made man.

Unto what can I look to catch a glimpse of myself?

What? A mirror?

Okay. Mirror mirror on the wall? Who am I, and what am I called?

(MOMENTARY SILENCE)

Ah, right! Mirrors don’t speak. They only reflect the exterior of me, that material silhouette of me, that external imagine representing the essence of me. If I have no concept of myself, how am I going to obey Christ’s command to “love your neighbor as yourself?”

And who is my neighbor anyway, the guy next door? The woman seated at the table across from me in the coffee shop? The colleague whose office is adjacent to mine?

How can I love a neighbor with a love for which I do not have for myself, given the fact I have no concept of myself?

What? Jesus loves me?

Does Jesus love himself? How has he loved himself?

He loved himself enough to endure the horrible death of the cross? He loved himself enough to embrace the rejection of the world he created for himself? He loved himself enough to take upon himself the burden of having his followers pervert, corrupt, distort, exploit his message of hope, redemption, and salvation? He loved me enough to call me to follow him?

He’s loved me enough to give me his sense of self. And now, with him in me and I in him, I am able to fulfill his second commandment “to love my neighbor,” that guy next door, the woman seated at the table across from me in the coffee shop, the colleague whose office is adjacent to mine “as myself.”

Copyright 2012 emmett wheatfall
All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. In some neighborhoods, the neighbors are hoods. There it takes a good man to task to follow Jesus' words, to love them as he loves himself. Perhaps His greatest inspiration lies in the fact that He gave himself - so selflessly - for our sakes. A hard act to follow, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete